In my work, I come across a lot of young ladies with a lot of potential and a clear vision for their future, but they have no idea how to execute their goals and actually become successful. I’m here to tell you that YOU CAN, with hard work!
Sometimes it’s not enough to just read an inspirational book or have a support system saying “you can do it,” so I’m here to walk you through some crucial steps to creating and executing your goals, so that you can turn your dreams into plans, and your plans into action.
Why should I make goals?
It honestly surprises me when I meet girls and I ask them what their goals in life are and they just say, “I don’t know” or “I want to be successful.” Like, what?! Just saying you want to be successful isn’t a goal. Everyone wants to be successful, but what sets the actual successful people apart? GOALS!
Your goals should be catered to your own vision of your perfect life. What do you want most, and why? If you could be or do anything, what would it be? When making goals, they can be as little or big as you want. I have small daily goals – like meditation and journaling. Then, I have big goals – like wanting to own a business and have no debt. No goal is more important than the others, and they all point me in the same direction – towards my ideal life.
Making goals gives you something to work towards, and the purpose of writing down your goals is to create a plan of attack to actually achieving them. Whether you wamt to start your own business, or maybe just want to create a new diet and exercise regimen for yourself, it’s so important to make goals. Making goals gives you motivation, helps you visualize the end result in a clear way, and helps you track your progress!
When making new goals, it’s important to be S.M.A.R.T!
- Specific – Write down EXACTLY what you want to achieve, in detail. Visualize your ideal life and write that down. What do you want to accomplish? Why is it important? Who will help you?
- Measurable – Write down the steps it will take to achieve your goals. How are you going to reach your success? What do you need to do today to get closer to your goals? If your goal is to lose weight, exactly how many pounds do you want to lose? Measurable goals help you track your success logically and will make it clear when you have achieved it.
- Achievable – If your goal is to make a 7-figure income, your goals need to reflect actions that will make that possible. When making goals, really reflect on how you can attain it. Is it realistic? Why or why not?
- Relevant – This one is so important! What is the ultimate goal? Do all your other goals line up with that? Is it worth your time and energy? Why is achieving this so important? We may want many things in our life, but it’s important to evaluate what we want so badly that we’re willing to commit to working for.
- Time-Bound – Okay, so you’ve written down what you want to achieve and why. But when are you going to do it? It is so important to have a deadline. This helps keep you on track. If you miss your deadline, that’s okay! Creating a deadline gives your goals a priority in your life. If your goal is to lose 20 pounds in a year, maybe you take a cheat day or only hit the gym four days a week. But if your goal is to lose 20 pounds in three months, your priorities will be very different. Remember to keep your deadline realistic!
What do I need to achieve my goals?
I have two ESSENTIALS to turning my dreams into a reality, and I hold these very dear to my heart.
First, it’s essential to have a support system, or as I call, my “dream team.” It is so important to have people who believe in you and will help you get there. Your dream team does not have to be on the same path as you, but knowing you have someone to talk to on the bad days (because there WILL be bad days) who will keep you motivated is something you should cherish. If you’re working towards something, it’s easy to make that your priority. It’s important to remember to cherish your relationships. At the same time, it’s important to remove negative people from your life! If someone doesn’t believe in your vision or tries to stop you from achieving your goals, they have no place in your life. Keep your circle small and don’t be afraid to share your successes (and failures) with your support system.
Secondly, it’s essential to have a positive mindset. Your attitude plays a huge role in your ability to achieve your goals. If you are constantly telling yourself, “I can’t do this,” well, you can’t. If you are holding onto emotional stress or allow negativity to consume you, you will lose your motivation and will not move forward.
I personally suffer from depression, so keeping a positive mindset is especially hard some days. Once again, some days will be harder than others. When I’m struggling to keep my spirits up, I make sure to do something that calms me and brings me joy. Sometimes that’s taking a nice walk outside, sometimes it’s reading a motivational book/blog. Podcasts are great as well. Take a bath, get a massage, write love notes to yourself, talk to your support system. Do whatever it is that helps get your mind refocused and rejuvenated.
You’ve got this!
Now that you have the tools to create your goals, it’s time to execute them! Remember that nothing great comes without hard work. Your commitment to your goals will be your strongest asset. Remember to celebrate the small victories along the way. Rome wasn’t built in a day, and neither is your dream life!
Real goals will be ongoing and ever-changing, so cut yourself some slack if things don’t always go your way. Your goals can be as small or big as you want – as long as you believe in them and push yourself to achieve them! With hard work, anything is possible. Don’t give up.