Here at Slutty Girl Problems, we’re all about saying ‘no’ to the labels that society places on us. We’ve been called ‘slut’ before and we know that it’s a word that ultimately has no real meaning. YOU decide who you are – not society.
The same can be said for any number of other labels, be it our race, gender, sexual preference, size, or any other category that others use in a poor attempt to define who we are. There’s no one way to define someone’s identity and The Identity of She is a blog (and so much more!) focused on breaking down these boxes and labels, encouraging women to live by their own standards. And that’s definitely a message we can get behind, from the four fierce women who run T.I.O.S. to the badass statement apparel they sell. We’re loving it and we want you to be a part of the self-love revolution! (BTW: Wanna get 10% off on their clothes? Enter our special code “TIOSSluttyGirl”!)So, how can you get involved in the new wave of body positivity and self compassion? Start with The Dear Body Project, which is gearing up to publish a second issue. They’re still accepting submissions! Submit work that is related to their second edition of the magazine: female empowerment, the history behind beauty standards, and an ode to women’s history month.
The winner of the challenge will receive a full page feature and a front cover mention in the second issue of Dear Body Project Magazine – a visual exploration of self-image. Some of the strongest pieces from the challenge will be selected to be featured in the magazine as well. Talk about a dream come true!
We’ve got some prompts to get you started:
- How has your relationship with your body been effected by beauty standards?
- What age were you when you first experienced the pressure of beauty standards and how has it affected you?
- How do you feel about the #metoo movement, and how it has impacted society?
- Writing (articles, blogs, short stories, poetry, et cetera). No more than 700 words.
- Song and Dance (music videos, songs, dance routine, et cetera). No more than 3-5 minutes. Longer submissions need prior approval via email. Submissions must be made to a public YouTube or SoundCloud. Link must be accurate when sent to us.
- Photography / Videography / Fine Art (paintings, drawings, sculpture, short films, photos, videos, et cetera). For fine art please submit high quality pictures of the work. All files no larger than 25 MB.
- Past work is alright! You don’t need to create new work to be able to participate in the challenge.
- Submit all entries to: [email protected] by February 19th, 2018.
* * *
Are you as absolutely stoked about this as we are? Shop The Identity of She right now and load up on their bold, feminist items. Make a statement that society isn’t in charge of you.