One night stands are great for casual, short-term fun with no risk of attachments forming. Long-term sexual relationships can be defined as a serious relationship with a significant other or simply a casual friends with benefits relationship. Both offer their own deal of fun, but on a more consistent basis. We’re here to show you what’s so great about sex, both noncommittal and long term, the pros and the downsides that come with both options.
One Night Stands
One night stands are almost never serious or long-term commitments. Whether you choose to spend the night (and maybe wake up for round two in the morning) or head back to your own bed after the fun is over, one night stands almost always make for a great story to share at brunch the next morning. Keep in mind, random hook-ups aren’t for everyone, and the most important thing to remember is you should never be pressured into anything. You set your own boundaries and limits, and you’re free to do as much or as little as you want with a hottie, whether you know them well or not.
- The potential for mind-blowing sex. Maybe it doesn’t quite reach “mind-blowing”, but there’s still a good chance your sexual appetite will be satisfied.
- The excitement of a new partner. No two sexual partners are ever the same, and changing it up with someone new can often heighten the experience.
- If something unsavory happens during a one night stand (like Aunt Flow paying an early visit), you never have to see your partner again if you don’t want to. Worst case, you can pretend the night never even happened.
- The casual fun of a random hook-up keeps the potential for any emotions developing between parties to a minimum. One night stands rarely turn into serious relationships, so if you’re enjoying the single, slutty girl life, you don’t have to worry about feelings getting in the way of casual sex.
- If you are fortunate to have a wild night with a cutie who really knows what they’re doing, or you’re very sexually compatible with, there is always the potential to turn a one-night-stand into a steady friend with benefits. That way you can continue the fun whenever you want!
- If you choose to spend the night with your hook-up, saying goodbye in the morning can get a little awkward. Is it rude to leave without saying anything at all? Isn’t a kiss a little too intimate for a goodbye? Regardless, the awkwardness of saying goodbye is generally minimal and short-lived.
- A new partner is that they don’t know your body as well as someone who’s had more experience with it. Finishing the night with that BIG-O might be more of a challenge with a partner who doesn’t know exactly what gets you off.
- Communication is key for any sexual experience, but with a random partner, you might be less comfortable communicating some of your kinkier desires. Just make sure to always communicate if something is uncomfortable, hurts you, or is simply unenjoyable.
- If you’re in college or live in a smaller area, there is a chance you could run into your one night stands around town. It might be a little awkward to bump into them while you’re waiting for your morning Macchiato, but it’s nothing a quick smile can’t handle, and the moment will be over soon.
- As with any sexual encounter, safety is always the most important aspect. If you go home with a hook-up or even bring him back to your place, make sure someone has a general idea of where you are and who you’re with. Never be afraid to say no to something, or to make your limits known. And never feel guilty about not wanting to do something.
Whether you have a casual, but steady FWB or you’re in a long-term committed relationship, having a reliable partner can increase the intimacy of sexual experiences and open more doors for experimentation. Some people might find sex with the same person on a regular basis gets boring, but others love the sexual experiences that accompany having someone they’re really comfortable with.
- The potential for absolutely amazing sex. A long-term partner offers the opportunity for some fantastic times in the bedroom (or any room, really).
- Through regular sex with someone, you can learn all about what they’re into, and what their secret steamy spots are, which tends to lead to some great times.
- Long-term sexual relationships tend to be more personal, or at least involve some level of familiarity with each other (even if only sexually). As a result, you’re more likely to be more comfortable communicating your desires with your partner. Asking a random hook up to tie you to a bed with a blindfold on, while fun, can be a little intimidating. If you’re with someone you’re comfortable with, you can ask them to fulfill your kinkiest fetishes without worry.
- Experimentation. Once you get to know someone, and what they’re into, it opens the door to experimenting with new things you may have never tried before. Experimentation is exciting, and doing it with someone you’re comfortable with sexually can relieve any anxiety about trying something new. Who knows? You might discover your new favorite kink.
- Easy access to sex. Whether it’s texting a late-night booty call, or simply jumping your SO’s bones in the kitchen, if you have a long-term sexual partner there’s often the minimal effort required in order to get some action. Sometimes you just need someone you can call for a quickie on your lunch break to get you through the day.
- Not everyone enjoys regular sex with the same person. People can get bored with the same partner, and miss the freedom of finding someone new every night.
- While it’s not an issue for people in committed relationships, casual FWB relationships open up the possibility for emotions to get involved, which may not always end well. At some point, you may be on one end of the awkward “I don’t like you like that” talk, and someone’s feelings could be hurt.
- Not all relationships last forever. If you break up with a long-term partner, things could get messy. There may be a lot of unpleasant emotions involved that could take a long time to move on from. And once you finally move on emotionally, you might find yourself missing the rambunctious romps in the hay with your old partner.
One night stands aren’t for everybody. Some slutty girls want to know their partner well before getting into bed with them (literally). But for those who enjoy the casual fun and the excitement of a new partner for a night, one night stands can be the best way to get your rocks off. Having a hottie available on a regular basis can better overall sexual experiences, especially long term. Not everyone is down for commitment, emotionally or sexually. It’s also totally possible to have the best of both worlds, and have a steady FWB while continuing one night stands. Regardless, each type of experience offers its own set of pros and cons. Whichever type of fun you prefer, there’s no shame in embracing your sexuality and the relationships you enjoy.